Saturday, November 3, 2018

Teaching Writing to 21st Century Students

When I first began teaching, I approached writing pedagogy how I was taught. I assigned five-paragraph essays to dried-up prompts, and I taught students how to write a distinguished extended response and On-Demand piece for state testing. I got students to that distinguished level, and I thought I was doing a great job, but I wasn't. Writing for a state test is nothing like writing in the real world, so this past summer, I finally decided to do something about it.

I developed what my students now know as the bi-weekly paper, but it is so much more beneficial than it sounds. I spent several hours developing 28 different prompts that relate to all aspects of life. The prompts range from creative writing to business writing, and now I feel as though I am finally doing it right.

The prompts I developed are designed to prepare students for life after high school. I asked my Facebook friends what types of writing they did in their jobs, and I used those responses to help me. I split the prompts into two categories: orange and blue. The orange topics are fun pieces that are meant to show students that writing does not have to be a chore. They are meant to get students to think creatively and let their personalities shine through. I also wanted them to explore different text structures because teachers like the younger me had failed to teach them that writing is not a five-paragraph essay. The orange topics are:

  • Plans after high school
  • Movie review
  • Newspaper article summary
  • Analysis of a weakness
  • Short-term goals
  • Documentary review
  • Journal entry
  • Eulogy
  • Why the military? 
  • What is beautiful?
  • The phone rings, you answer it...
  • How has it changed you?
  • Letter to my future self
The blue topics are designed to prepare students for college and career writing. I wanted to give students an opportunity to explore types of writing for a career they are interested in as well as give them real-life experience. Many of these prompts have allowed students to actually use what they wrote outside of school, and that's the goal, after all. The blue topics include:
  • How-to guide
  • Letter of recommendation
  • College entrance essay
  • E-mail to boss
  • Company memo
  • Resume
  • Cover letter
  • Accident report
  • Business plan
  • Bio for an online store
  • Sell it
  • Fundraising request
  • Evaluation
  • Job application
  • Scholarship application
Every other week, students turn in their papers. We do six throughout the semester, and students are required to write three orange papers and three blue papers. I give meaningful feedback on all of them, and I choose three model texts to display for the next two weeks until another batch of papers come in. I have seen a big change in my students' approach to writing, and I feel like I am actually helping them prepare for life after high school.

To get all the prompts, follow the link to my Teachers Pay Teachers store: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Real-World-Writing-Writing-Regularly-with-Purpose-4144774

Real World Writing: Writing Regularly with Purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gamification Part 1

Today, I jumped into gamifying my classroom, and I am sold! I just started my first blended and personalized unit, and teams were reviewing ...